Wednesday, July 17, 2019

“Happy trails to you.” – Roy Rogers

From “The Human Condition: A User’s Manual,” by Arnold Kunst
17 July
Little Johnny Stories IX
This time I’m the Little Johnny
One day when I was maybe 6 or 7, in the late 40’s, my big sister and I went to what was called at the time a Saturday matinee and it centered around a Roy Rogers movie.
Roy Rogers, “King of the Cowboys,” was my all-time greatest hero. [He was really smart: he'd figure out that the bank robbers were cattle rustlers who always needed a shave, but were secretly working for the REAL bad guy: the bank manager in the three-piece suit!]
Anyway, this one particular Saturday when I got home I told my mommy wanted to go to San Francisco tomorrow. Although we only lived about 20 miles from San Francisco this was a fairly unusual pronouncement for my mother to hear. When she asked me why, I told her Roy Rogers said in the movie he was going to San Francisco tomorrow, and I wanted to see him.

Simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment