Monday, October 23, 2017

“Your greatest contribution may not be something you do but someone you raise.” - Anonymous

23 October
From “The Human Condition: A User’s Manual,” by Arnold Kunst
I remember, vividly remember, an incident with my best friend Jerry when we were both aged four or so. One day while we were playing with our toy cars in his sand-box he had stolen my very favorite toy car and then pretended he hadn't. I lay awake for some time that night plotting my revenge: I was going to pretend he was my friend the next day and while we were playing I would do whatever - I don't remember what form my revenge was going to take, but the very prospect of getting even, laying there sleepless in my bed that night, was utterly delicious to contemplate. So, the next day I pretended we were friends as usual, and we began playing cars in his sand-box as we had the previous day. I continued playing and, when I got home at the end of the day, remembered the elaborate revenge I had planned, but then forgot to carry out! In the course of playing I found the car in question - he hadn't hidden it very well. Even so I initially felt bad that I had failed to get my delicious revenge - it was as if I had somehow let the team down. Then, that second night, it hit me: forgetting revenge and playing with a friend was maybe the better choice.
Do you think that was the right choice?


No comments:

Post a Comment